Day Two: No Plan Survives First Contact With the Enemy
almost 6 years ago
– Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 06:49:56 PM
Hey guys, Dennis here.
Funded in 4 hours, 181% funded in a day. Amazing. When we came to Kickstarter, we weren't even certain the Agent's Handbook would fund, and here we are well on our way to the Case Officer's Book. Thank you.
So far, we've unlocked:
- THE AGENT'S HANDBOOK: All you need to play the Delta Green RPG. (Rules preview available here).
- VISCID: A new Delta Green scenario by Dennis Detwiller, wherein the agents find that even magic has a half-life. ADD-ON COST: $5, PDF only.
- OBSERVER EFFECT: A new Delta Green scenario by Shane Ivey. Most physicists think a new lab's experiment to study the nature of reality won't reveal a thing. Your Delta Green agents are about to learn otherwise. ADD-ON COST: $5, PDF only.
At $120k we unlock:
- THE CASE OFFICER'S HANDBOOK: This big, color hardback will have everything from the Agent's Handbook plus a Game Moderator's view of the setting and ton of new material for running Delta Green campaigns, customizing the setting and the threats, and keeping your players surprised and scared. ADD-ON COST: $70 for the hardback plus PDF, or $30 for just the PDF. (You can change your AGENT'S HANDBOOK pledge to this for an additional $20; this is a separate book from the AGENT'S HANDBOOK and contains everything found in the AGENT'S HANDBOOK).
We're working on something very special to fit in at around the 95k mark, right now. More on that later.
Still, we continue to make adjustments. No plan survives first contact with the enemy, and publishing and Kickstarter has a thousand pitfalls we at Arc Dream are very, very familiar with, and will not make. It's why when you pledge, you can be confident in getting your product.
We get a lot of suggestions that open with "in this other Kickstarter I saw..."; and we're going to stop you right there — in the great scheme of things, our most important mission is to get you quality books. Many other companies chase a growing total to see how high it can go; we are not that company. Many, many (many, many) other Kickstarters end in financial disaster, either through malfeasance, or miscalculation. We've created A LOT of Kickstarters, and we worked hard to make sure we're not hanging ourselves promising something in the tiers that will come back and kill us in the end.
I have heard many people ask for t-shirts and other things that are literally black holes of productivity (someone needs to source them, size them and ship them, and that someone is one of the book creators). We won't be creating a chain of crap side-items that destroy our productivity to make five more dollars per order.
We've also gotten a lot of great ideas (and have changed our tiers to suit when possible). Keep submitting ideas (even if they might be misinformed ones, we'd rather hear them than not), but I would encourage you to do one thing in particular:
Keep complaint spam off the Comments section.
If you have a complaint, question, or an idea, you can reach me at email@example.com Please, drop me a line and let me know what you're thinking and try to keep negative comments to a minimum.
A couple of general notes:
- You can adjust your pledge at any time (if any of that tier are available).
- Every pledge is refundable at request with no explanation.
- We're working on figuring something out to ease international shipping (though, if we pull THAT off we might as well start doing that for a living!)
And one last note as to what the Delta Green RPG Kickstarter is about. Many Kickstarters are about raking in as much money as possible through any means possible. The service has transformed from a pre-funding/early read on the public response to a product mechanism, to a lottery ticket.
This is not one of those Kickstarters. It will not be one of those Kickstarters.
Our goals are:
- Do not chase product at a loss.
- Create quality product.
- Pay our people so their work is stellar.
- Get these products to you as fast as is possible.
All money pledged here moves the Delta Green RPG line forward. The higher the total, the faster these books will be made and released. So, if your plan involves waiting on the sidelines to buy the book at retail, I have some rough news: if it's not funded here, it's likely not coming out.
So get in there, pledge what you can. Spread the word. Let's make this happen. Help us create the apocalypse.